This job might already be filled.
Spreedly is the world's leading Payments Orchestration solution. Our vision is that the world is better with a diversified, inclusive payment ecosystem. Our mission is to accelerate commerce with an open, secure, and flexible payment platform that welcomes all payment participants. Backed by Spectrum Equity, with a $75M investment, Spreedly is experiencing rapid growth.
We now serve 600 customers globally. Many of these direct customers are platforms and marketplaces that have thousands of their merchants leveraging our payments platform. Our customers include industry leaders in digital goods, order ahead and delivery, online marketplaces, donation/giving platforms, event ticketing, and financial services.
Our employees help us execute against our vision through building a culture focused on autonomy, transparency, and collaboration in a dynamic, high-growth organization.
Spreedly is seeking a Software Engineering Manager who's ready to jump in and manage one or more teams of 4 to 7 direct reports. You'll also bring your experience to the table and help us continue iterating on how we do engineering and engineering management. We've made good progress in some areas - our hiring and onboarding processes being notable examples - but are regularly tweaking our processes and structure as we continue scaling the company from our current size of 130+ to who knows how many multiples of that in the coming 4 to 5 years.
You may not yet have pure engineering management experience, but you should have a proven aptitude for technical leadership and be excited to join Spreedly to support and enable the people that build and maintain our product as we keep growing. We bring the same pragmatic mentality to managing as we do to designing systems. We are looking for someone who can come in and quickly become a part of those conversations, sharing their experiences and takeaways, to help us evolve our engineering management practice at Spreedly.
- You will lead a variety of cross-functional technical teams, making sure team members are getting the feedback they need to do their jobs and improve at their craft
- You will represent your team to the rest of the organization, helping them understand the team's role and prioritize the set of things the team could be working on
- You will be performing the challenging work of management full-time from day one, and will not have critical path engineering responsibilities for any initiatives (but still need serious technical chops - see "Requirements")
- You will be responsible for the technical quality and product cohesion of your team's work product and should be prepared to work with relevant stakeholders across the organization to ensure both meet expectations
- You will collaborate with existing engineering management (and engineers) as we continue to iterate on how Spreedly does engineering as an organization
- You have 3+ years of technical leadership experience - we need someone already comfortable with the dynamics of technical teams and delivering/supporting a technical product. This may take many forms, including non-technical management experience paired with several years of diverse technical experience, or technical team leadership experience without the human management aspect, etc.
- As a manager, you lead with empathy, maturity, and candor
- You have real coding chops that allow you to support engineers of all levels as they make decisions about how we build Spreedly. While coding will not be an expectation in this role, you will need to rely on your technical experience to manage and have credibility with fast-moving engineering teams. It's not a litmus test, but if you weren't a developer in a past life this is probably going to be a stretch
- You should thrive in loosely structured environments. We're getting bigger, but still find our top performers are those who take responsibility vs. waiting for it to be assigned
- You should be comfortable thinking strategically about organizational and management topics. We don't blindly apply the best-practice du jour here at Spreedly. Instead, we think critically about the assumptions inherent in any practice and if they're relevant to Spreedly. This should be your native mode of thinking
What We Offer
- Competitive salary + Equity
- Outstanding Medical and Dental Insurance: Premiums are 100% company paid for employees and families
- Note: We offer two PPO health insurance plans: A traditional copay and a high deductible with HSA. Spreedly contributes $1,200/$2,400 per year to the HSA for those choosing the high deductible plan
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Optional Vision insurance and various Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Open Paid Time Off policy + 12 weeks paid leave for new parents
- Matching 401k plan (5% up to $5,000 yearly)
- Monthly digital lifestyle stipend ($150), new MacBook, and $200 accessory reimbursement
- $3,000 annual Professional Development stipend and free LinkedIn Learning subscription
- Flexible, remote friendly work environment
- Quarterly visits to HQ in Durham, NC for remote employees
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples, structured interviews, and diversity awareness training.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does - handling payment data - finalist candidates must complete a successful background and reference check.
Unless otherwise stated, remote positions are open to candidates in the contiguous US only. We are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, or outside the contiguous US. At this time Spreedly is unable to provide sponsorship for employment. In order to be considered for employment, applicants must be currently legally authorized to work in the US and not require future sponsorship in order to continue working in the US.
We appreciate your interest in our company. Because of the high volume of resume flow, we may only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.