This job might already be filled.
Looma exists to inspire, educate, and humanize the shopping experience. Our first product, Loop™️, is an in-store network of screens that play short videos focused on storytelling and education. The content for this platform is powered by our second product, Relay™️, a marketplace of filmmakers and other creators who specialize in point-of-decision content.
As a Sr. Data Scientist at Looma, you will play a vital role in shaping our understanding of shopper behavior in support of our mission to connect grocery shoppers with makers. You will join a highly skilled product team that values joy in work, organizational excellence, and empathy towards teammates and partners. As an early member of this team, you will be trusted with a high degree of ownership and have influence over key strategic decisions once you have your feet underneath you. We are seeking candidates with demonstrated experience in full stack data science looking to advance their careers by taking on a challenging role with near term opportunity for growth. This role reports directly to our VP of Product.
The responsibilities for this role can be split into three primary categories:
- Full Funnel Performance Modeling (40%)
- Pilot & Product A/B Test Analysis (40%)
- Data Ecosystem Development (20%)
Full Funnel Performance Modeling (40%)
- Leverage sales data and machine learning models to drive our understanding of how we impact shopper behavior.
- Advance and automate existing ML models to improve scalability, reliability, and generalization into new product categories and retail environments.
- Develop new machine learning models to deepen understanding of various aspects of shopper behavior.
Pilot, Product, & Content A/B Testing (40%)
- Design experiments which deliver high powered results efficiently, minimizing resource requirements and disruption to business operations.
- Analyze test results by developing creative ways to derive insights from imperfect data that comes from external sources and real world environments.
- Communicate findings to non-technical stakeholders, first working to ensure findings are highly polished and accurate, and then determining the right set of narratives and visualizations to use to communicate effectively.
Data Ecosystem Development (20%)
- Support the development of Looma’s data science operations through automation, pipeline optimization, code documentation, data governance, and promotion of a data driven culture.
- Design and implement APIs to make data insights available for customer-facing dashboards and tools managed by Looma’s engineering team.
- Promote internal data accessibility by developing BI tools and encouraging their use.
Attributes & Experience
- Polish: You deliver reliable results and are diligent in validation and verification.
- Enthusiasm: You approach your work with energy and passion, and inspire creativity and innovation within the team.
- Curiosity: You are constantly seeking to learn and grow, and have a strong desire to understand how things work and how to improve them.
- Empathy: You relate to the needs and experiences of customers, teammates, and partners, and approach problem-solving with a user-centric perspective.
- Organization: You maintain excellent organization in complex environments, taking initiative to automate, scale, and streamline systems.
- A degree in a relevant field such as information science, mathematics, statistics, computer science.
- 5+ years of data science experience, including recent roles in a startup or early-stage company.
Preferred Technical Experience:
- Proficiency with cloud-based data platforms (GCP preferred) and data extraction from SFTP servers, APIs.
- Experience in building models with libraries such as scikit-learn, caret, TensorFlow, Keras in R (preferred) or Python, with bonus points for gradient boosting frameworks like LightGBM.
- Familiarity with deploying interactive visualizations (R Shiny, Streamlit) and building BI dashboards (Tableau, PowerBI, Looker).
- Proficient in data transformation using tools like dbt or similar data processing frameworks.
Preferred Strategic Experience:
- Familiarity with modeling advertising performance and shopper behavior analysis within the CPG industry.
- Experience in data security initiatives and regulatory compliance.
- Involvement in strategic discussions with sales, product, and executive stakeholders.
**Structure & Compensation **
Looma will provide a competitive compensation package consisting of base salary and stock options. All Looma compensation packages include some cash / equity flexibility (i.e. you can opt for more equity and less cash or vice-versa).
- Employee coverage for health, dental, and vision (gold plan)
- Unlimited PTO (3-week minimum)
- Flexible office setting (office, flex, or WFH, with associated stipends)
- $100/month craftsmanship stipend
- 6 weeks birthing leave, 6 weeks bonding leave
- 401(k) plan
Looma’s Hiring Philosophy
Looma believes culture is one of the strongest predictors of success for a startup. Strong contributors to Looma’s culture will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Emotional Intelligence
Diversity & Nondiscrimination
Looma is committed to promoting diversity both in our workplace and through the stories we tell. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status, class or caste status, or any other protected class. Our global nondiscrimination policy covers these protected classes in every market in which we do business.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.