This job post has been filled or expired.
Location: Remote or Durham, NC
Wrangle is on a mission to change how companies are run. Over 500 organizations are already using our no-code workflow builder to automate their business processes and approvals — right in Slack.
As our first (non-founder) engineer, you get the chance to design and build this product from the ground up. You'll be reporting directly to the founders.
You'll build a scalable back-end that can power both of our the user interface clients (Slack and web).
The ideal candidate is an expert in both architecting maintainable, scalable systems and building individual features.
What you'll do
- Help the founders get to product-market fit by systematically testing hypotheses around personas, use cases, and channels.
- Spec and build features and systems that help our customers get their work done in a clear, fast, and responsive application.
- Work across our back-end API server that powers our Slack integration and our web application. We use Typescript with Apollo, Node.JS, Bolt (Slack's SDK), and Postgres. We host on Heroku currently.
- Participate in a collaborative product delivery workflow, from design to spec to feature to pull request to deployment.
Who you are
- 4+ years of industry experience with modern full-stack web development, with particular emphasis on user-facing feature development. Bonus: experience designing systems, not just features.
- You are fluent in one or more frontend and backend technologies, and are interested in programming in TypeScript, React, and Express.
- You have a good understanding of web technologies and large-scale web application architecture.
- You believe the best product is the one that helps users accomplish their goals while growing the business.
- You have strong opinions, weakly held. You assume validation and iteration are a given to produce the best results.
What we offer
- Flexible, remote-first culture that optimizes for balance and productivity, not butts-in-seats.
- The opportunity to learn how to build a startup with direct mentoring from serial entrepreneurs: fundraising, finding product-market fit, and growing a team.
- Meaningful equity options — you're getting in before the Series A!
- The equipment you need for working from home (whether full-time remote or not, we want you to be able to work where you need to be for your life/family): Macbook, monitor, high-quality web cam, high-quality microphone.
- Great medical benefits for you and your family.
- 12 weeks of parental leave.
- Flexible and generous time-off and sick benefits.
Most companies have values on a wall somewhere, but no one pays much attention to them. Values should give a team guidance on how to make choices when facing uncertainty. Here is how we make choices while building Wrangle the company:
Less Meetings, More Thoughtfulness
We love to talk with our co-workers, but hard strategy choices require thoughtful, written communication. Meetings and Slack channels don’t often allow for considered discussion and they interrupt focused, individual work.
Some places tolerate talented-but-difficult people. Not us — being toxic affects all of our other talented people and we won't tolerate it.
Today, Not Tomorrow
Perfect is the enemy of the good. We have coworkers and customers that need our help, so we move with urgency.
Process is Good, Actually
In the early days of a company, you need to move fast. But we can't scale as a team if we don't document and automate our processes. That's what Wrangle is for, so we ought to be the best in the world at it.
Build Things Customers Want
It's fun to solve hard technical challenges. But customers don't care about that. Build things they want.