This job might already be filled.
Methodical Games is a newly formed studio built around a fundamental set of ideals; a lean talented team, direct cross-discipline collaboration, quick iteration, and developer-driven processes. Our goal is to foster a haven for developers to push the bounds of their craft and collaborate directly with other creative minds. As our name suggests, we pride ourselves on a detail oriented approach to game development with a focus on meticulously crafted gameplay. You might even call it an obsession. We’re seeking passionate individuals from all walks of life to join us in building something great.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Character Artist to create fantastical creatures and characters for a new IP built in Unreal Engine 5. Our ideal candidate has an eye for artistic quality and will be responsible for defining the look and style for all in-game characters and creatures.
- Create high quality characters and creatures for Unreal Engine 5.
- Responsible for character creation from start to finish; design, sculpt, textures, and materials.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex feedback and art direction.
- Work with technical artists to define guidelines for polygon budgets and material creation.
- Work with the animation/rigging team to establish good topology for deformation and delivery processes for rigging.
- Collaborate with design and engineering to establish a modular character creation system.
- Work closely with design and concept art to create appealing character models that work well within the context of the game world.
- Help define processes for making model customizations and LODs.
- Evaluate and manage outsourcing needs.
- Play and give feedback on the game. Your voice matters.
- 7+ years of professional game development experience with at least one shipped title.
- A portfolio showing the ability to translate concepts into high quality, appealing and functioning in-game assets.
- A strong sense of anatomy, aesthetics, and appeal.
- Knowledge of Physically Based Rendering systems and techniques.
- Firm grasp of color theory and surface/texture creation.
- The ability to adapt realism into stylized characters.
- Deep understanding of UV and mesh topology including faces.
- Proficient in DCC tools for character modeling and surfacing (Zbrush, Maya, Max, Substance, etc).
- Passion for making and playing games.
Nice to Have
- Experience with advanced rendering features in Unreal Engine 5.
- Experience with procedural art workflows (Houdini, etc)
- Shipped console game experience.
- Traditional sculpting skills.
Not an exact match for this role? We’d still love to hear from you! Visit our Careers Pageand fill out the Open Application to apply.
How we work
- Methodical Games is a remote hybrid studio with an office in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are building an office first culture centered around collaboration, but we are open to fully remote work depending on the position and candidate.
- Everyone is a hands-on contributor and we believe in leading by example.
- We’re a small cross-discipline team communicating directly with one another.
- It is important to us to maintain an inclusive environment where everyone feels empowered to be themselves and do their best work.
What we offer
Generous equity and profit sharing.
Unlimited paid time off, Summer and Winter breaks.
Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance with 100% of premiums covered for employees.
401(k) retirement plan and Flex Spending accounts.
Relocation assistance to the Raleigh area.
Centrally located office minutes from downtown Raleigh, Cary, and Durham. Walk to PNC Arena (home of the Carolina Hurricanes). Garage parking with free EV charging!