This job might already be filled.
CandleScience is in search of an IT Manager who is passionate about leading a team as well as supporting their internal customers by creating and maintaining great technology experiences. They would be responsible for the integrity and security of all physical computer systems and our operating environment, including our warehouse technology and SaaS/3rd party tools. They would also direct their team to take the initiative to own and solve problems and are a team member that everyone wants to work with. They believe strongly in automation and work to remove manual steps for themselves and their users.
The ideal candidate has strong computer networking and security skills, is documentation driven, and starts troubleshooting by asking questions and not jumping to conclusions/solutions. They are eager to learn and show an honest interest and passion for the job. Additionally, they are okay spending roughly a third of their time on hands-on problem-solving and look forward to working on a team with other talented IT professionals.
- Ensure data integrity and security.
- Develop and implement IT policies and procedures.
- Manage IT staff, including hiring and performance evaluation.
- Manage IT resources like staff and equipment.
- Oversee hardware and software installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Assess and recommend technology infrastructure improvements.
- Coordinate with departments to meet their IT needs.
- Manage IT budgets and ensure cost-effectiveness.
- Create plans for emergencies and system failures.
- Work with other leaders to meet business goals.
- Stay informed on emerging technologies and industry trends.
- Monitor and improve system performance.
- Manage IT processes, including problem-solving and updates.
- Manage vendor relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Oversee IT projects, ensuring timely completion and quality standards.
- Help and teach employees to use technology.
- Build relationships with technology partners.
- Encourage innovation in the IT department.
- Use cloud services to support the business.
- Regularly facilitate IT group conversations.
- Represent the IT team in different company functions and advocate for modern, efficient, and simple solutions.
- Collaborates with the Infrastructure team to implement cloud solutions.
- Provide leadership to and participate in a security council along with the Infrastructure team
- Commute between the two sites in Durham (Distance of 4 miles) to provide support as needed
- Strong Networking Skills (routing, subnet/CIDR, DNS)
- Have a security-oriented lens and are able to analyze risk from a security perspective and assign tasks for follow-up and investigation
- Experience with SaaS applications, MDM, and patch management (We use Jamf Pro)
- Experience with administering either MS Office 365 or Google Workspace
- Understanding and experience with MS licensing and systems administration
- Familiarity with various operating systems and platforms (MacOS, Windows, Linux)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing IT operations best practices
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to manage a team effectively of 3-5 people
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at times.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with scripting and automation tools
- Experience with Ubiquiti UniFi EcoSystem. We use products such as UniFi Network, UniFi Access, and UniFi Protect
- Experience with Zero Trust Identity Management. We are currently implementing CloudFlare Zero Trust
- Experience working in a Warehouse or Logistics environment
- Experience with Password Managers such as 1Password or_ LastPass_
- Experience with either of the following network monitoring tools: Grafana or Observium
- Experience with Jive Communication
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or industry certifications (ex. A+, Network+, Security+) may substitute for some relevant experience.
- 4+ years of experience as a System Administrator or similar role plus 2+ years of experience as an IT leader
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter letting us know why you’re perfect for the job. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Headquartered in Durham, NC, we’re surrounded by great restaurants, cultural activities, and sporting events. Also known as one of the “Tastiest Towns of the South,” Durham is one of the best places to live and work.
Pay is based upon relevant experience.
Big company benefits with small company culture! We provide comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with low deductibles. All employees receive employer match for retirement contributions of up to 3% of annual earnings. We have liberal vacation policies and offer additional benefits including technology stipends, gym memberships, and company-paid life insurance.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
CandleScience develops and sells candle and soap making supplies. Our customers vary in size from candle and soap entrepreneurs to seasonal hobbyists. We began in 2003 as a two-person startup, and have become the market leader in the industry.
We work hard to develop natural and safe products that push the boundaries of candle and soap making. Our success is a result of our focus on web development, product development, and operations.