This job post has been filled or expired.
LoanWell is an automated lending and grant technology to help community lenders deploy more capital, more efficiently. Our white labelled platform is purpose built for CDFIs, banks, credit unions, loan funds, and foundations to have end-to-end functionality for application intake, origination, task management, underwriting, closing, servicing, and reporting. We are a mission-driven FinTech, helping increase access to capital for those typically left out of the financial system and empowering Affordable Capital for All.
The engineering manager will direct, plan and coordinate engineering activities, while supervising a team of engineers. This person will deftly juggle project management, product management, and people management to help take our team and platform to the next level.
You will need to know the specs well (duties), build a product roadmap (planning and scheduling), negotiate and allocate resources (people, budgets, tools), make sure the result (tracked performance) meets the company's goals and/or specific client’s needs, and unblock, guide, and code with the engineering team during sprints.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze, propose and manage budgets, technologies and resources for projects
- Plan strategies for the development of designs and products on schedule and on budget
- Prioritize, delegate and supervise all engineers’ activities and deliverables
- Lead daily engineering standups
- Lead the planning, management and delivery of all engineering sprints
- Lead retros with the engineering team after sprint completion
- Unblock the team with dedicated pairing and office hours
- Deliver senior level code contributions during engineering sprints when required
- Provide input in strategic technical decisions and solutions
- Lead and develop product release cycle and communicate new releases to team and client stakeholders
- Build technical documentation and project roadmaps
- Hold one-to-ones with all engineers on a regular cadence
- Manage, support, and evaluate engineers’ performance
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers, stakeholders and leadership team
- Hire new talent for the team and offer coaching and development opportunities
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD HAVE:
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or another related field
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, preferably at an early-stage startup
- 2+ years of software engineering management experience, preferably at an early-stage startup
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a customer first mindset
- An entrepreneurial and creative problem-solving attitude
- Ability to manage large, complex implementation projects through cross-functional teams working within a software development and deployment.
- Experience managing a software development lifecycle
- Motivated by the opportunity to define and collaboratively deliver compelling, differentiated cloud applications that delight LoanWell’s customers
- Detail oriented but with the ability to think and act strategically
- Experience researching, troubleshooting and solving complex software issues
- Ability to manage and interact with different types of teams
- Proven track record partnering with engineering teams with a focus on solid results-driven execution
- Excellent focus, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a very fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize a list of projects and focus on higher value tasks with more immediate deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative and in remote environments
- Ability to work in Durham, NC preferred but remote work is fully embraced. If remote, willingness to travel occasionally to Durham to strengthen team collaboration and increase speed of learning cycles
If you meet 70% of these criteria, please consider applying. Women, people of color, those with non-traditional work backgrounds, people with different gender identities or those part of the LGBT community are strongly encouraged to apply.
You will be working directly with and reporting to our CEO/CTO, Bernard Worthy.
Salary range dependent on experience level
Flexible Work From Home Policy
401K Matching Plan
Headquartered at American Underground (a Google Tech Hub)
Weekly Social Events with a Community of Startup Employees
Discounted Access to YMCA Facilities for Health and Wellness