This job might already be filled.
Methodical Games is a newly formed studio built around a fundamental set of ideals; a lean talented team, direct cross-discipline collaboration, quick iteration, and developer-driven processes. Our goal is to foster a haven for developers to push the bounds of their craft and collaborate directly with other creative minds. As our name suggests, we pride ourselves on a detail oriented approach to game development with a focus on meticulously crafted gameplay. You might even call it an obsession. We’re seeking passionate individuals from all walks of life to join us in building something great.
We are looking for an experienced Art Director to drive the artistic vision for a new IP built in Unreal Engine 5. Reporting to the Game Director, the Art Director will oversee the efforts of the art department and set the visual quality bar for the game. Our ideal candidate is a blend of a talented artist and dedicated leader who can deliver results that beautifully enhance the design of the game within time and budget constraints.
- Own the artistic vision for the game and communicate it effectively across the studio.
- Contribute individually to artistic concepts and game assets.
- Produce and direct the creation of concept art that conveys emotion and visual tone.
- Collaborate closely with design and engineering departments to ensure form and function are in harmony and create the best possible experience for players.
- Inspire the team to continually raise the quality bar and improve processes.
- Deliver effective feedback across all art disciplines, such as characters, environments, animation, and visual effects.
- Recognize and focus the strengths of individual artists for challenge and growth opportunities.
- Ensure the Art Department is aligned with the technical and design requirements of the game.
- Play and give feedback on the game. Your voice matters.
- 5+ years of art direction experience.
- Deep understanding of art fundamentals, influential styles, anatomy, and appeal.
- Excellent traditional drawing or painting skills.
- Exceptional spatial design awareness.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently present visual concepts across the studio.
- Experience directing and supporting artists across multiple disciplines.
- Broad knowledge of game art disciplines and their workflows.
- Ability to inspire positivity with the team and trust with other departments.
- Experience working with art outsourcing.
- Passion for making and playing games.
Nice to Have
- Game industry art direction experience.
- Hands-on development experience within Unreal Engine.
- Experience with procedural art workflows.
- Shipped console game experience.
Not an exact match for this role? We’d still love to hear from you! Visit our Careers Pageand fill out the Open Application to apply.
How we work
- Methodical Games is a remote hybrid studio with an office in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are building an office first culture centered around collaboration, but we are open to fully remote work depending on the position and candidate.
- Everyone is a hands-on contributor and we believe in leading by example.
- We’re a small cross-discipline team communicating directly with one another.
- It is important to us to maintain an inclusive environment where everyone feels empowered to be themselves and do their best work.
What we offer
Generous equity and profit sharing.
Unlimited paid time off, Summer and Winter breaks.
Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance with 100% of premiums covered for employees.
401(k) retirement plan and Flex Spending accounts.
Relocation assistance to the Raleigh area.
Centrally located office minutes from downtown Raleigh, Cary, and Durham. Walk to PNC Arena (home of the Carolina Hurricanes). Garage parking with free EV charging!